Friday, April 18, 2008
Voto Latino Debuts at #1 on iTunes
Voto Latino, a 15-track album to benefit the leading non-partisan organization for Latino youth voter empowerment - Voto Latino, debuted at #1 on the iTunes Latino Album Sales Chart, on its first day of sale.
The album features songs by Pitbull, Don Omar, Aterciopelados, Aventura, David Garza, and Ozomatli and costs a mere $3.99 to purchase on iTunes. The song, "Across the Waters," is a previously-unreleased song by Miami's on rapero, Pitbull, based on the strugglees faced by Cuban Immigrants. This is a song the hip-hop hero feels emotionally connected to.
"To me it's great to have a record like 'Across the Waters' involved with Voto Latino/iTunes because it represents everything we [Latinos] stand for, which is the struggle for freedom and opportunity," says Pitbull in a press release by Nacional Records, the label who released the album.
Hollywood starlet Rosario Dawson, and That 70's Show's Wilmer Valderrama are the co-founders of Voto Latino. Both starred in a widely circulation telenovela parody public service announcement to get the word out on their organization and the power of the Latino vote.
The organization was founded in 2004 as a non-partisan organization "that works to promoe an enfranchised America by leveraging celebrity voices, the latest technology and youth themselves to promote positive change and voter empowerment throught the Latino community."
Voto Latinos hopes to reach the 7 million American Latino voters ages 18-29/18% of the American youth vote and get them out to the polls for Novembers' 2008 elections.
Nacional Records and iTunes will donate the proceeds from the album to Voto Latino's voter registration, education, and empowerment initiative.
1. Notch - Aquí Me Quedo
2. Pitbull & Kurse - Across The Waters (PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
3. Ozomatli - (Who Discovered) America?
4. Don Omar - Angelito
5. Los Amigos Invisibles - All Day Today
6. Salvador Santana Band - My One True Love
7. Ceu - Roda (Bombay Dub Orchestra's Grateful Dub Mix)
8. Aterciopelados - Cancion Protesta
9. Aventura - Mi Corazoncito
10. Chingo Bling - They Can't Deport Us All
11. Ceci Bastida - Empieza A Amanecer
12. David Garza - There Go The Weirdos
13. Volumen Cero - El Mar
14. B-Side Players - Nuestras Demandas
15. Hip Hop Hoodíos - Viva La Guantanamera
RECUERDA: Don't forget to "Rock the Vote" in November